Friday, September 02, 2005

Holding out for a hero...

I don't really know what to say about what's happening in New Orleans. The New York Times says it better than I would. What I do know is that it the agencies charged with responding to national disasters and emergencies have been failing on an immense scale. And they are dealing with a situation that came with a warning.

Once again, the best organized and most effective efforts to help have come largely from volunteers. The Red Cross has again stepped into the breach with aid. They need help though. You can donate online through their website, www.redcross.org. Cash is the best some of can do to help, so that's what we should do.

There are stories of heroics that have come out of the area. One that struck me is the scores of people who headed to the area with boats, creating a volunteer navy of sorts. Individuals with boats have been searching for people stranded by water and ferrying them to staging areas where they can continue on to relative safety.

I'm just struck - much like The New York Times editorial board - by the lack of strong leadership displayed by the President. Maybe others find his lead inspiring, but I have certainly been left shaking my head.

I'm reminded of the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks when the country watched in horror and found comfort and inspiration in from the leadership not of the President, but of the Mayor of New York City and the group of men around him. I only pray that someone, or some people, will step forward again in this time of need.

5 comments:

jenbeauty said...

My sentiments exactly. I have been just responding and leaving comments to most blogs. I feel helpless but at least we have eachother to rant to!

Nice blog btw.

Shawn said...

That's how I feel too...short of heading down there myself, I can't do much but donate some money and vent my frustration...

Laura said...

I know how you feel.. there's a profound sense of anger and exasperation paired with immense helplessness for me, a person unable to really do anything. Then I imagine what the people down there are experiencing and it's just too difficult.

Miranda said...

It's hard to know what to say or do when this sort of thing happens.
One can blame our leaders, and certainly they are to blame to some degree, but then, so am I - I haven't volunteered to help.

But even if we were doing everything they ought to be, what happened in Mississippi and Louisiana would be horrific. And it's hard to deal with things that seem so bad, no matter what you do.

Laura said...

They'd not let you down there to help anyway right now, you'd not be able to get anywhere near New Orleans. At least they're getting people out now, but it's going to turn into a massive refugee situation - which will turn even uglier. sigh