Saturday, August 13, 2005

Oompah

Some people are just more blessed than others. That's not just talk either, it's the truth. Think about it. There are people who just seem luckier than others aren't there?

I'm glad to see that you've admitted it, because I'm telling you that I am one of those people. I can feel your scepticism through my high-speed cable hookup, but I assure you it's true.

If you still doubt it, let me direct your attention to the snapshot right up there... Yes that is indeed a man with a funny hat playing the hammers. What?! You've never heard of such a thing? Well, it's rare to be sure...but it does happen (pictures never lie). To be honest, I think he's actually playing the anvil with two hammers as opposed to just playing the hammers. Behind him is a band playing oompah music. Mmmm hmm...I was there. I saw it live. Eat your hearts out.

Many people would travel many miles to see such spectacles. I, however, just walked out my door and down the steps and in less than a block I was surrounded by all this wonders. St. Mary's Catholic church is a block away and they're hosting the fine, fun, family festivities.

So far today I have had new tires put on my Jeep, savored a delish Strawberries and Cream frappacino, bought coffee filters and several books, stopped at an Apaloosa horse show, heard oompah music at St. Mary's and chowed down a bratwurst...It's been a lot to fit in and yet I managed...and the night hasn't even started yet.

5 comments:

Laura said...

Ahhh, Oompa music. I'm working on a theory that every culture has their own form of Oompa music in some way or another. It might not be "who stole the Kieshka" but the oompa characteristic is still there.

exMI said...

Wow. What a busy day. sounds fun actually....

Notta Wallflower said...

I'm jealous you were able to get a good picture of something as phenomenal as Ooompa musicians. We went to SF yesterday and I like to get pictures that are not just "touristy" and everywhere you look are signs that say "if you take picture, it cost $1". I approached these men playing some sort of Asian checkers and I asked politely if I could snap their picture, but they said "no". It was a bummer of a day, picturewise. :-/

The Zombieslayer said...

Some people are luckier than others. Dang, you should see the young lady who just served me the iced mocha. Wow!

I've never heard Oompa music. What is it? What am I missing? It does look silly, which is a good thing in my book.

Shawn said...

Yeah fun times were had all around...you guys really missed out.

ZS - Oompah music is pretty much any polka/German/whatever...It's got that name because there's usually some big horn in the background oompahing away. I wish a cute girl would bring me mocha...

Laura - That totally makes me want to create a new genre of music. Gansta Polka could be big. I would be the OOG (the original oompah ganster) and wear baggy Lederhosen and one of those Tyrolean hats backwards...