Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Putting My Seven Point Mind Training To Work

I was listening to a recording of a talk by a Buddhist monk, Lama Thubten Yeshe, who has a pretty thick accent. He was talking about the Buddhist concept of renunciation. I could have sworn I heard him use the words "monkey nuts" repeatedly.

Of course I was confused, so I played it back. Sure enough, "monkey nuts."

Then after listening some more, I replayed it. Ah, maybe he's referring to Buddhist concept of "Monkey Mind." No, that didn't make sense either.

Finally, it became clear that he was saying, "monks and nuns." It all made sense.

So you see, studying Buddhism does lead to enlightenment.

5 comments:

Josh said...

That is the best thing EVER.

Miranda said...

Now, play it backwards!

Laura said...

God that's funny..

Jason said...

Shawn, you are a living koan.

Shawn said...

Jason - That's probably the coolest thing I've ever been called. But now I'll need to spend the next week beating back the illusion of my own koan-ness. Ah, when will this cycle of Samsara ever end?