Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Better than drugs...

Coming up with a way to mess with your own head isn't exactly easy. Mostly because you always know what you're up to so it's hard to surprise yourself. Today, I came up with a way to do it though. It worked swimmingly and you can even try it yourself.

You need to load up an MP3 player with music from another country. I went with French pop because, lets face it, just listening to French pop gets you half way to whacked out all by itself.

And for all my iSnob friends... yes your Pod will do the job nicely, but this is one time your hardware puts you at a disadvantage. If you use an iPod, you'll need to muster the self control required to not skip over the half-whacked French pop... If HWFP is all you've got on your player you won't need to muster any self control. That's a huge burden lifted.

Anyway, stick the buds in your ears, turn up the Johnny Halliday, Jane Birkin, Isabelle Boulay and Serge Gainsbourg, and then go for a walk. That's it. Easy, huh? It helps if you're walking somewhere that there are people. That seems to add to the surreal factor which is of course the goal.

Trust me on this... it's better than drugs.

*** Safety note -- Don't use Indian music unless you're crazy or want to get that way or if you're very experienced. It's the Sitars... they'll push you over the edge. ***

9 comments:

Jason said...

Shawn, I think you're defining a new Way -- Exteme Existentialism!

The Zombieslayer said...

Back when we had DSL, Mrs. Zombieslayer used to blast Europop from iTunes radio stations. It would either be Europop, Irish/Celtic music, or heavy metal. Dang I miss having DSL (we're too far away now).

Shawn said...

Sweet... my friend Josh is the poet, so now I can counter with being the philosopher. Thank God, because he's been sort of gtting cocky with the poet thing.

ZS, I don't know what I would do without a high-speed hookup. I've got broadband right now and it's awesome. I feel your pain... and I can download it really fast!

tshsmom said...

I listened to a lot of Ravi Shankar when I was a teenager. Maybe that's why I'm crazy now?

Shawn said...

Tshsmom... the road to recovery is a long journey, but you should be okay... I think.

tshsmom said...

Define Okay.

Miranda said...

Certainly better than ending up
acting like this guy:
This guy

Shawn said...

I tried to learn to play the digeredoo. I sucked, but I still love that sound. It's so Crocodile Dundee!

Shawn said...

I still want to know how that trip was Kitty...