Thursday, June 09, 2005

Thank you mall girls...

I came of age in the decadent, golden-era of the American mall. I still love all the stuff you can find while wandering aimlessly. Shiny objects everywhere... oh yeah, cute girls too.

And nothing says summer like time at the mall. When you don't have a beach, the only other place with that concentrated summer vibe is the mall. So today, after a job out near the Mayfair Mall, I decided to make a stop. It wasn't all about slacking though. I had to return a book at Barnes and Noble. The great book returning adventure is a good tale, but it's going to have to wait to be told.

Anyway, I returned the book and headed out into the mall. It was glorious... It was bliss... I grabbed a Frappucino from Starbucks and then walked back to the book store. That's it. That's all I did. It was enough to just bask in the presence of the mall girls. I'm sure there were plenty of mall guys too, but who cares? The only mall guy that entered my consciousness was some cel phone dude at one of the random cel phone kiosks. He broke my revery, but I quickly shook it off and was soon back in my happy place, surrounded by beautiful mall girls.

They made me happy just because they were there. For one bright, shining, afternoon moment all was right with the world. Thank you mall girls... thank you...

10 comments:

The Zombieslayer said...

Shawn, you know you're old when you no longer check out the mall girls. I guess I'm not too old yet. ;)

good post.

Anonymous said...

I'm also wondering about the age factor. The mall girls, and mall guys, the mall food, and most everything about the mall irritates me except the clothes :)

Jason said...

In Orange County, mall girls are often hot soccer moms, so I don't feel guilty enjoying them. ;-)

Shawn said...

Ahhhh. Disneyland and Hot Soccer Mom Mall Girls. Orange County would be heaven if it wasn't... well... Orange County. Jason's right though, mall girls come in all ages, shapes and sizes.

Z-slayer... don't ever get old. It's not worth it. All you get out of it is being old. It's just sad that most of the mall girls will be toast when the Zombie plague strikes... everyone knows the malls are one of the first places hit.

Kitcat... oddly enough, I agree with you about the irritations of the mall, but for some odd reason I still love them.

Sadie Lou said...

I'm with kitkat. The last time I was at the mall for any length of time (I usually just run in and then get the heck back out) I was astonished at what parents are letting their 13 year old girls out of the house in.
What's that term? Jail bait? Meaning that someone over the age of 18 coming on to a minor that looks like she's an adult could land a young hormonal man in jail. How sad is that?
What's the deal with those skirts that have that stupid ruffle and the whole thing comes just under the chick's butt?
That's obscene. Pair that skirt with some "innocent" ankle strap platform heels and you've got yourself quite the suggestive, little package!
I guess I'm just an "old" 29 year old, or maybe it's because I'm a parent, but really--these girls are dressing like hookers.
However,
Shawn...I'm sure it was the older, far more mature WOMEN you were thankfully gazing at and not the young girls wearing skanky clothes with their bras showing...right?
*wink*
Sorry for the rant. I've been working closely with the youth group at our church and I feel for these young boys that are trying to keep their eyes in their head but it's pretty hard considering that these girls are giving them their flesh for free.

Jason said...

I think I know why you have the disdain for OC, but most people have distorted views of it. I'll address it in a future post on my blog.

Shawn said...

No real disdain for the OC (although i think the show blows, but that's another story) Jason... it's that I spent my formative years 'way up north' in Ventura County so my world didn't extend all the way to Orange County, except for the trips to D-land and such...

Sadie... shame, shame... this is Wisconsin, there are no young girls wearing skanky clothes with their bras showing... and if there were, I would surely avert my eyes.

Okay, before anyone who knows me chimes in... Fine, it's not likely I would avert my eyes... happy now?!?

Sadie Lou said...

*I have been shamed*

You must remember--I live in California, where the majority rules and the minority dress modestly.
I apologize.
*wink*

Shawn said...

Ah yes... I remember sightseeing trips to the Roseville mall very well...

Oddly enough, I never really much liked that mall. Probably because Barnes and Noble, Old Navy, and Best Buy were across the street. Great that reminds me of Jamba Juice... now I want one... sigh...

Sadie Lou said...

I'm with you. I frequent the shopping center across from the mall much more than I do the actual mall. My favorite store: Nordstrom's Off the Rack
My favorite place to eat: Rubio's (across from Costco)
Place to buy furniture: World Market
Books: Barnes and Noble
Yummyness: Coldstone