Thursday, June 23, 2005

We never met...


Alan and the ladies..., originally uploaded by cheeseismoldymilk.


I never met my uncle Alan. That makes me sad because I think I would have really liked him.

My Mother told me that everyone liked Alan. He was her older brother and was good at most things he tried. He played the violin and graduated from a Catholic High School with good grades.

He was in the RCAF during WWII and nearly made it through. He was engaged to an English girl he met over there. He flew in a Lancaster bomber. I know he was very brave because I have his flight log book and even though his plane had been seriously shot up and forced to crash land on one mission, he still went up.

He was shot down in 1944 and was buried in Denmark.

7 comments:

begins with v said...

Aren't old black and white pics like this the best? Great photo!

Sadie Lou said...

Yes, great picture.
I never met my Aunt Darlla. My daughter's middle name is Darlla. She was my mom's sister. She died at 18 when a drunk driver plowed into the VW bug she was in with her friends. There were four teens; 2 died and 2 lived. My mom says Darlla and I were peas in a pod (I was like 2). My mom had me when she was 17.
I think Darlla and I would have gotten along famously; stories about her remind me of myself.
It sucks that we didn't get to meet all these cool family members for whatever reason. It makes me desire heaven even more when I have those thoughts.

Jason said...

I had an uncle I never met as well, but he died as a child. Alan sounds like he was a great guy. Not many built like that anymore.

The Zombieslayer said...

Strange that all this time, I never did the research to see if I lost any relatives in WWII. I really enjoy talking to folks from that generation. They have an aire and a drive to them that I think is missing in mine and younger generations. I definitely think they're stronger.

Shawn said...

I think there's truth to that ZS. Maybe it's just that they were tested like following generations were, but I think there's more to it than that...

For one, they were closer to their immigrant roots. Also, they were used to living with less and without all the conveniences that we 'can't get by without'... Plus things were smaller then. A lot of the time, your world was your neighborhood...

Mostly I just think we're spoiled and a bit like self-centered children compared to them...

Then again... maybe that's all wrong.

Miranda said...

Your uncle seems like quite a hero.
I have two uncles I've never met. One died as a young boy, but I wish I'd met him. The other I will meet this year!

The Zombieslayer said...

Shawn - you may be right. We may be spoiled compared to them and maybe that's why we're so disgustingly soft.