Saturday, June 11, 2005

Dog people

There really are cat people and dog people and they have different world views. Oh sure, sometimes they overlap but you can usually tell a cat person from a dog person. Sometimes people are both, but it's usually safe to say that they're more one than the other.

There are other kinds of people out there too... bird people, horse people, reptile people, and no animals of any sort people ... Mostly though, people fall into one of the big two.

Yesterday, I met two dog people at seperate times. It really made me think about how there are a lot of subgroups within the dog people category.

The first lady had a little poodle. Cute enough, but totally lacking in any obedience qualities. That's not a slam on the dog, but rather the person. The dog is a dog... he's only gonna act like a dog does.

In the pack world, there's an alpha and then there's everyone else and they fall into a pecking order. Clearly... this was a pack without an alpha dog. The little poodle wasn't in charge of anything, but then again, neither was this woman... Maybe the husband is the alpha dog in this household? I doubt it. When I met him on the way in, I seriously thought he was mentally challenged. (And no, I'm not making this up or exagerating for effect... I really thought that.)

I'm not even going to make a joke about the Bush/Cheney bumper sticker on their car, but it did sort of seem fitting.

The second dog lady had a bigger dog, regular size really... It was kind of a hunting, bird dog, mutt looking thing. His name was Emmett and he was both nice and well behaved... His owner -- Nicole, if you're wondering -- just told him to come and sit and he did. No voice raising or anything. She even sort of apologized when he came over and sniffed my out which was really no big deal at all.

Anyway,(drumroll...there is a point to this...) what I'm wondering is why is it that people with poorly behaved dogs always have this sort of dopey, oh-golly-he-sure-is-a handful-but-isn't-he-a-great-dog attitude? I'm pretty sure that if they have kids... it's sort of the same thing. And conversely, why is it that people with well-behaved dogs tend to be more concerned with whether their dog is annoying anyone?

Okay... now that I'm looking at this, I realize there actually isn't much of a point after all. Oh well -- win some, lose some...

Whoever you are, I hope you're having a great Saturday.

11 comments:

tshsmom said...

Shawn, you're right-on when it comes to the dog/kid analogy! In my mind, there's no such thing as a naturally good dog or kid, although I have run into a FEW exceptions. It's all a matter of how they were socialized.
BTW, small yappy dog people fit into the "cat people" category, in my opinion.

Shawn said...

I was thinking the same thing about small yappy dog people, but I thought maybe I was imagining it... Since we both can't be imagining it, they are henceforth banished to the cat people category...

Sadie Lou said...

My parents fall into a catagory somewhere.
They treat their dog like a toddler. He's a puppy. They talk to him in sentances and explain to him why he got in trouble. They coo to him and watch him as he sleeps on their bed. Granted, he's adorable (he's a boston terrier) but I think their behavior is odd. When I'm talking to them on the phone, they speak to the dog in hushed tones...
"stop it Dorado"
"C'mere Baaaaaaby."
"Babe, look at Dorado with his toy."

I always say " I can HEAR you!"
weirdos.

tshsmom said...

Glad you agree!
BTW, I'm the type that worries if my dog is bothering you.

Shawn said...

I had a dog... now my parents have him.

When I was in California, it was very hard to find a place that would allow dogs so they took him in... now they won't give him back. I don't blame them. I see him a lot though, and he seems to be happy with my folks...

The Zombieslayer said...

Dog person, definitely. Plus, I'm allergic to cats so they're out of the question anyways.

Laura said...

I'm both. I love my dog and my cats. I will admit that our dog is more fun but that's because she's more interactive and expressive. But I still love the independence of cats.

I agree that dogs will be dogs, but certian breeds are easier to train/handle than others. I laugh at people with Poodles or Beagles (two of the most stubborned breeds) who can't control their dogs because they obviously didn't read up on breed differences. There's also the people who get Huskies (because they're pretty - picking them out like an accessory to their home) or Collies and leave them home while they're at work and then wonder why they tear up the house... You must fit the type of dog to your lifestyle and your ability to train...

tshsmom said...

I agree, Laura. It's the same with Dalmations. They're not real bright, hyperactive(need LOTS of walks)and bone-headed. People buy them for how they LOOK.

Jason said...

Four cats, two dogs, two kids. Insanity.

Anonymous said...

i hate it when dogs die.
i miss mine.

The Zombieslayer said...

Tshsmom - That's exactly why Dalmations are the dogs you see all the time in animal shelters. Kids scream up and down that they want one, then their parents realize they're way too much work.