Thursday, May 05, 2005

Little things we do

Today I watched a little old lady put out an American flag pinwheel. She very carefully placed the top portion onto a small, metal rod planted in the ground outside her door. It was all very meticulous and well rehearsed. Obviously, she had done the same thing many times before.

It made me think about the many things we do regularly... things that we would be hard pressed to explain the importance of beyond the fact that we do them regularly. How much time have I wasted swirling my mocha from Starbucks long after the chocolate has been mixed in? Why is it important to try and eat cookies in odd number amounts? I'm not even compulsive...

Anyway, I know that sometime this evening the little old lady will slowly waddle out of her door, take the top portion of her flag pinwheel off the stake and bring it inside. I wonder if she even knows why she thinks it's important...

0 comments: